Pages

Saturday 22 May 2010

And man made (artificial and synthetic) life - The Economist

       I'm not a biologist; I'm a student doing research on the resurrection of Jesus and believers in the future. But the recent events surrounding two American biologists who've made a bacterium that has an artificial genome - creating a living creature with no ancestors, has caught my eye. The technical stuff surrounding the whole project is quite difficult to comprehend, but one part of the project in particular intrigued me. It is claimed in The Economist that apart from all the positives this new technology can bring, there are also significant dangers. There is talk of the breading of malicious biological inventions, which could spell disaster for the integrity of species, including the human race, should the technology fall into the wrong hands. This made me think of some New Testament texts I am currently studying as part of my research. At least in the New Testament, God promises an awesome, holy, perfect resurrection body to all believers when Christ return. There is no danger of a malicious evil force that can ruin this plan of God (do you agree or disagree with me?). I share just to verses:

Jesus Christ will transform our lowly body that it may be conformed to His glorious body, according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself (Philippians 3:20-21).

But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you (Romans 8:11).

No comments: